Pages

Thursday, January 01, 2009

Penumbra revised

Here's an image that never quite looked right to me, but now I finally think I got it to where I want it.



The line art for this one was entirely done in illustrator with curves, and the color on photoshop. My new, ultra secret inauguration poster is also vector, and I'm thinking of messing around with more vector images for posters. It has a sort of Mucha, Polish poster art look now I think. I've had a long time love of Polish poster art, especially 70s and 60s Soviet era stuff. I wish there was a good book on it somewhere I could get.

I've especially always been fascinated by this guy here. Just ignore the giant phallus at the top, and keep looking.

I remember in school finding a book that had this one,

and

this one here.

I recently scanned another old piece:



It took about 12 scans. Scanning seems to be the only way to get high quality on these larger images.

Still working on my new comic book story. The holiday slowed me down, so now I've just started page 9 of what should be a 13 page story. I feel this story represents some of my best drawing, and I'm really having fun with it.

3 comments:

  1. Hey there. I found your blog through Tin Salamunic's. I like your work a lot, the floating elephants in particular. But I really have to thank you for the links to Franciszek Starowieyski's posters. Wow. I've never heard of him before, but what great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yeah, some of those images just seared themselves into my brain in college. A lot of that Polish poster art is amazing. They're movie posters of our movies are sometimes better than the movies themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Yeah, some of those images just seared themselves into my brain in college. A lot of that Polish poster art is amazing. They're movie posters of our movies are sometimes better than the movies themselves!

    ReplyDelete