Pages

Friday, November 18, 2011

Girl and Lantern Finish, Harvest Moon changes


Here's a new image, another image for the portfolio. I wanted to do another night scene, and I was inspired by an image by George Tooker of people holding lanterns. I'm particularly happy with the texture of satin on the woman's dress.




I still might do more to this one. I used a little more wash and dry brush in the earlier stages of the image as I have with other recent pieces, allowing me to generate an overall more painted look. 



Here's a revised version of my "Harvest Moon" image based on suggestions from my new rep, Abigail Samoun of Red Fox Literary (you can see the original version, here).




Abigail suggested that I get rid of the fireflies, since they were a little ambiguous. It wasn't clear exactly what they were, which is something I had already suspected. She also suggested I darken the background and add a glow around the scene, and put a little more color and modeling on the faces. And lastly, she suggested that I add highlights to the fur to make it look softer and more like fur, to contrast with the kids.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful expressions on the mother and child. Great work. Sounds like a good new dynamic having someone to bounce ideas off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pinky! I'm looking forward to seeing how things develop...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get so much visual enjoyment from lanterns. The one she is holding is simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had a before picture to compare...it's amazing the little changes had made. Great job, Jed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Rachel and Marlene! Rachel: this one was inspired by one of my favorite paintings by George Tooker of people in a garden holding lanterns. I'll show it to you sometime!

    Marlene: good to see you at figure the other day--it's always great to see how you draw.

    ReplyDelete