Pages

Sunday, February 06, 2011

Busy in the Studio

Here I am in the studio/laundry room, pretending to work on my current piece for my upcoming show at The Pence Gallery. Though it hasn't been announced on their website yet, the show opens on the 22nd of this month.



This is pretty large for me, 27x41 inches, so I have to work on it lengthwise. I've been able to work on pieces on this table as large as 38x50 inches, but that was pushing it. Behind me you see my blackout curtain, which is to black out the light for my light box. It also blacks out the light when the sun is glaring on my drafting table. Sometimes natural light works out for me, and I prefer it, but in this case it wasn't so convenient.

I took this picture with the little camera in my computer. My new IMac comes with a camera and some amazingly intuitive video editing software. I don't know when or how I will be taking advantage of this, but it's something I would like to mess around with at some point.

Ida Maria, Jacques Brel

I don't usually listen to music when I work--I prefer audiobooks--but while I was working on this I was listening to this new Scandinavian singer/song writer, Ida Maria, who I'm really into right now. I don't know much about music, but in her Youtube description she's compared to P.J. Harvey and Bjork, which sounds about right. I love the way you can just play every video by an artist on Youtube. It's practically like owning the album.

I also listened to some Jacques Brel. There's a ton of Jacque Brel videos on Youtube, and the best are the ones where he plays live. He's amazing! Just a powerhouse. He's especially great in these little intimate settings. Here he sings, Jef. I can't imagine what it would be like to be sitting at the front table while he's singing this. Even without knowing the words, this song is incredibly moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment