Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

A Happy Accident is a Mistake that You've Embraced

Here's the water from the mailer I'm working on.It went in a different direction than I thought it would--originally I intended to do it as a straight line drawing, like my usual treatment of water, but a mistake in the rendering inspired me to take a different tack. I had two options: to give up and start again, or see if I could make it work. The second option didn't preclude me from taking the first, and so, why not spend a little more effort to see where it leads? I just kept rendering the water with these feathered lines until it started looking like a woodcut. I'm really pleased with the results. Another lesson in embracing mistakes.

For example: my dry brush style is dependent on my willingness to embrace mistakes, since the results are largely unpredictable. My approach to dry brush is a combination of control, and a willingness to allow for, and accommodate happy accidents.

No comments:

Post a Comment