Pages

Monday, September 02, 2013

What Artist's Love to Hear, And Only 19 Days Left To Get My New Book, (MOSTLY) WORDLESS!

Hi Everyone,

So last night we reached a big milestone in our Kickstarter campaign. But before I get into that, I want to give everyone a very big and very grateful thank you. I think the highest compliment you can pay an artist is to tell them that you like their work. And I think the best way to repay that compliment is to be gracious. And as grateful as I am to everyone who has contributed to my Kickstarter campaign, I’m grateful to all of you who have simply said that you liked my stuff. That something about it resonates with you, or makes you happy, or reminds you of something that made you happy, or that you just enjoy looking at it.

And I am also grateful that those of you that could afford to, liked the books enough to want to own them. Or T-shirts. Or postcards or posters.  Because of this we have reached over half our goal. And that's a lot to be grateful for. And there's still 19 days left. And though I’ll be happy enough if we reach our $7000 goal, if we reach our stretch goal of $14,000, this book goes from a book that only a few of you can own, to a book that will be in bookstores and in libraries. But that’s a little ambitious at this point, and I’ll be grateful enough if we can just get the thing in print.

 I am further grateful and anxious and excited for what’s going to happen when these books are printed and you get your copy in the mail. You might get mustard on the pages, or stick them in the bathroom reading rack, or read them in bed under the covers. I have no say in the matter. Because when all’s said and done, they belong to you. And as far as I’m concerned, that’s as it should be. Because books aren’t books unless they are read, and to me this means that they aren't what they’re meant to be until you’ve added a little bit of yourselves to the pages. And the more they are read, the richer they become for all the different perspectives the reader has brought to them.

 And of course the mustard. Mustard can add a savory and mildly spicy flavor. I’ve known my share of book eaters (most of them under two) who probably wouldn’t mind a little mustard.

 Thanks again, keep spreading the word, and if you haven't already, click on the link at the bottom of the page to check out my new picture book, (MOSTLY) WORDLESS. Only 19 days to go and if we don't reach our stretch goal, this might be your only opportunity to get the book!

Below are a few more inked drawings that were later incorporated into ELLA AND THE PIRATES. I hope you enjoy them.




No comments:

Post a Comment